Saturday, September 8, 2018

Super Skate

I used to skate ALL. THE. TIME. I was never talented enough to skate backwards, but my mom would drop me off on a Saturday afternoon and I would spend the afternoon at the skating rink while she corralled my sister. Then the skating rink closed - and there was nowhere to skate nearby, so I hadn't found myself on skates for more than two decades when I bravely put them on last spring. It's like riding a bike - you may have a few tumbles, but you once you get going, it's second nature.

Remember my persistent daughter - she gets her persistence from her dad - and she nagged all day long to go skating. She did everything I asked her to with minimal complaint and she survived not being able to go to her brother's make up gymnastics class - so I decided that I could take both kids skating tonight. I had never been to the skating rink Super Skate in Cedar Rapids prior to tonight, but both of my kids had been there with daycare.

I knew that I expected an older skating rink, but I didn't expect to have wonderful customer service and a few songs that I actually knew - but none that date back to the Skateland days in Ottumwa. I chose not to skate tonight so that I could do some writing, do some applying to different jobs, and let my children exercise some independence.

Once I got my kids' skates laced up, I sent them out to practice skating. I knew that the snacking question would undoubtedly be asked, so I was proactive and ordered drinks and a cheese pizza for us. When I ordered, the staff were so kind and exceptional at their job. They made me feel welcome. The gesture of turning the menu so I "didn't have to read it sideways." Having a permanent marker to put my name on the lid of my cup, and their smiles made me feel welcome.

Their friendliness was very kind, very genuine - and maybe it's because I look like a tired mother who is just trying to provide some activity for her children, but it was so nice to be at a venue where the customer interaction was of a genuine nature.

I am happy to say that we now have another indoor activity that we can do as a family for the winter and the customer service is exceptional.

No comments:

Post a Comment