Thursday, September 27, 2018

Pneumonia



Last week, I was diagnosed with bronchitis. This week I have pneumonia. I'm on day 4 of a very powerful antibiotic used specifically to treat pneumonia. I already had vacation planned for Thursday and Friday this week with no real vacation, but was hoping to do things like purge the clothes that don't fit anymore and work on my writing. My goal is that by June 30, 2019 I can launch a freelance writing career that actually pays close to or more than I currently bring home, but I will miss students. 

I hate disappointing my students, the schools I work with, and my colleagues - so I tried to power through the bronchitis on Monday. After 2.5 hours of teaching and having someone tell me that I sure didn't sound better, I called my doctor's office. I also left for the day taking my laptop with me knowing that I could at least respond to some emails while I was out if at all possible.

My doctor's office called me back and ordered a chest x-ray. I transported myself to the hospital and got the x-ray accomplished at 3:30 and right before 5 PM the doctor's office called me back and confirmed pneumonia. Thankfully, I was able to start the Levaquin immediately and was told to stay home Tuesday and Wednesday also. 

For those of you who have never had pneumonia, I hope you never get it. It makes the simplest tasks really hard to do. Things like standing in the shower took all my energy - and reading to my kids was a huge task. I made it through one book last night before I powered down my voice. It's incredibly hard to speak when you're fighting pneumonia. 

I'm glad to know that my children love listening to me read and that it is an important part of our nightly ritual, but I am equally as frustrated that they only want me! Their dad can read to them too, but mom does the voices. Mom says yes to reading the same story over and over and over - even when I don't want to.

Thankfully, I feel slightly better. I mean, I feel human again - but I won't be running a marathon anytime soon (and the reality is that I wouldn't have anyway).


No comments:

Post a Comment