Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Loss

This week, we lost our kitty. He was seven and I had been trusted to care for him by a friend when she could no longer give both of her kitties a good home because he was bullying his sister. Zeus was a cuddly feline at about 9 PM at night and he only bonded well with me and to a certain extent my daughter.

Since this wasn't our first experience with death, it was not too hard to let the kids know when they woke up yesterday morning that Zeus had passed away overnight. My son reacted by blaming his sister (how much brotherly love can one show?). My daughter reacted by saying that she wouldn't talk very much yesterday because she was sad. Then she went on to tell me about her art teacher's goats that had also passed away. 

Zeus is now at peace, which tends to be how I view death. I do mourn the loss of my kitty. I do mourn the loss of my best friend. I do mourn the loss of my grandparents. But I think of the quality of life they had at the end of their lives and I don't mourn their peace. I rejoice that they are no longer suffering. I rejoice that they can no longer have earthly pain. I rejoice in the memories I have shared with them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment