Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Reality of Having a Child with ADHD

My child was recently diagnosed with ADHD. It wasn't a surprise that she has it. After all, her dad does.

What is a surprise is how little I know about it, even though I am an educator. What is a surprise is how wearing it is on the person that doesn't have it. What is a surprise is how the mantra of the "way" of the magnet school that she attended this past year, is "I am kind. I am calm. I am a listener. I believe I can, I know I can," and we live it at home - until I completely lose my shit.

It's hard. It's hard because I've been on my own for two months at night. It's hard because the level of severe ADHD is high. It's hard because I am not sure how I should interact with my daughter. I know that I am the best mom for her, but for the love of God, I am exhausted.


No comments:

Post a Comment